The London Scottish Golf Club is considered the longest continually played-upon course in England. No-one is sure exactly when golf was first played here, but seven holes were picked out in the early 1860s by members of the London Scottish Rifle Volunteers, who were stationed on Wimbledon Common.

A number of our holes, such as Long Butt, Running Deer, Blockade and the Long Hole, were originally laid out along the lines of rifle ranges. Old bullets are occasionally still found on parts of the course.


Officially formed in 1865

The club itself was officially formed in 1865, which means it is the third oldest English golf club after Royal Blackheath and Royal North Devon. The illustration shown is of an early home match between LSGC and Royal Blackheath in 1870.


The Iron HOuse

The first clubhouse was in Mrs Doggett's cottage under the shadow of the windmill, then in 1871 golfers moved to the ‘Iron House’ further back near Parkside, where the rifle volunteers were based.


London scottish ladies

The ladies opened their own nine-hole course on land adjacent to the main links in 1891, and had their own clubhouse at the Thatched Cottage on the common. Among the members was Isette Pearson, who lived in Putney and was a prime mover behind the formation of the Ladies Golf Union in 1893.


Current Clubhouse

The current building – one of the few remaining Victorian golf clubhouses in Britain – was purpose built in 1897. It was fire damaged in 1900 but restored soon after. 



A major dispute erupted between the military and non-military members in 1881, leading the civilians to create what later became Royal Wimbledon Golf Club. Royal Wimbledon played on our course until constructing its own links just off the common in 1907. This move was led by Laidlaw Purves. 



Wimbledon Common Golf Club was founded in 1908, and plays on the same course as us, although with a different clubhouse and starting point. Their 1st hole is actually the 12th hole of the original course. We have a joint greens committee and work closely together. 


150th Club Anniversary

To mark our 150th Club Anniversary, Colin Montgomerie took up the position of Club Captain of the London Scottish Golf Club. The former 2010 Ryder Cup Captain took up the position for the 2015/2016 year. 

Monty is the second former Ryder Cup captain to be associated with the London Scottish Golf Club following Scotland’s George Duncan, who was a member of the club in the 1920s. He captained Great Britain & Ireland to Ryder Cup success in 1929.